She has vermilion skin and pale apricot-colored hair, styled into a tetrahedron with rounded corners. Her torso and legs greatly resemble Garnet's, but with less mass. She also has defined lips and a small gap between her front teeth. Her gemstones are located on her forehead and upper palms and are red, yellow, and purple in color.
Post-regeneration (previous) Edit
She wears a black, tailcoat tuxedo-leotard with a tangerine bow tie and a small, black star on her chest. The underside of the tail of her tailcoat is the same shade of tangerine as her bow tie. She wears two-toned, mauve-gray leggings under crimson tips surrounding the top part of her feet. On her first set of arms, she wears white gloves resembling Garnet's, while on her second set of arms she wears white gloves resembling Sapphire's that extend to her elbows.
She wears round shades that resemble those of Alexandrite, but are transparent and reddish-orange in color.
Second regeneration Edit
Sardonyx's design is not seen in full due to her shapeshifting into Steven; however, her shades now sport a sharp curve, resembling a butterfly. They are tinted a lighter, more vibrant orange, though this may just be from the lighting.
What's this? An encore performance? Just couldn't get enough of me, could you?
|—Sardonyx, "Cry for Help"|
Sardonyx possesses standard Gem abilities, such as bubbling, shapeshifting, fusion, regeneration, agelessness, and superhuman strength/durability.
Fusions with Canon Gems Edit
- When fused with Amethyst, they form Alexandrite.
- When fused with Amethyst and Rose Quartz, they form Obsidian.
- When fused with Amethyst and Steven Universe, they form the hybrid fusion Obsidian.
- They could also form Obsidian by fusing with Smoky Quartz.
Hypothetical Fusions Edit
- When fused with Steven, they form the hybrid fusion Pietersite.
Fusions with Canon and KJD's Gems Edit
- War Hammer Proficiency: Sardonyx can combine Garnet's gauntlets and put them on the end of Pearl's spear facing inwards to make a hammer. Her use of the war hammer is methodical in approach. She uses precise, keen strikes on specific areas to inflict the most damage while also reducing the amount of effort needed to take down a structure or opponent.
- Drill Transformation: By rapidly spinning the top part of her hammer, Sardonyx can transform her weapon into a drill that could easily break through the walls of the Ancient Gem Colony Ship that Garnet's gauntlets and Pearl's spear alone could not dent.
Unique Abilities Edit
- Anatomy Manipulation: Sardonyx has been shown to have "doll joints", body segments that have full rotation independent of the rest of her body. During her initial attack on the Communication Hub, she was seen to spin her upper body above the sash while talking to Steven, her arms are seen moving separately from the rest of her body throughout the scene, and during the final strike, her whole body is spinning on one joint while her feet remain immobile. In "Back to the Moon", it is shown that not only can her waist spin in this fashion but also her neck. She can swing her body around without taking her eyes off the Ruby fusion. In "Know Your Fusion", Sardonyx was able to move through the cramped space of the house and the Temple Gate with minimal difficulty.
- Enhanced Calculations: Sardonyx could knock out the correct pillars to make sure the hub did not collapse until she wanted it to. She may have inherited this from Garnet, who mentions her ability to sense structural integrity in the episode "Cheeseburger Backpack". Alternatively, this could have come from Sapphire's future vision; she may have been able to see if knocking down a certain pillar may have caused the entire hub to collapse. She may have also inherited this from Pearl, who is precise and accurate.
- As with Garnet, it is currently unknown whether this is a Gem ability/power that is inherited from Ruby/Sapphire unique to both Garnet and Sardonyx or simple observation.
- Sardonyx is a type of microcrystalline quartz, specifically onyx, banded with browns, reds, or yellows instead of black.
- Onyx and sardonyx are types of agate, which is the gemstone of those with the sign Gemini.
- Sardonyx is closely related to onyx, sard, and carnelian. Banded agate with more blacks or grays is generally classified as onyx, whereas banded agate with more browns, reds, yellows, or oranges is generally classified as sardonyx. Solid red or reddish-brown agate is generally classified as sard or carnelian, depending on the shade.
- Sardonyx, as with many other gemstones, can also appear as other colors, such as green and purple.
- The name sardonyx itself is combination of its components, the minerals ‘sard’ and ‘onyx’.
- Sardonyx is said to enhance willpower, vitality, confidence, stamina, integrity and optimism as well as bring happiness and stability to marriages.
- Sardonyx's personality and behavior, as well as Pearl's description of being fused with Garnet, seems to match perfectly with the attributes of her gemstone.
- Sardonyx is an alternate birthstone of August, whereas the official birthstone is peridot.
| Pearl's gemstone is located in the center of her forehead. It is a smooth ellipsoid with no facets.
|Ruby's gemstone is located on the palm of her left hand, featuring a squared facet. It is a decahedron, specifically a truncated tetragonal dipyramid.|
|Sapphire's gemstone is located on the palm of her right hand, featuring a triangular facet. It is an octahedron, specifically a truncated trigonal dipyramid.|