Appearance[edit | edit source]
The Rutile Twins form a tall, slender Gem with short maroon hair that is styled up into a point at the top and light red skin. They have one pair of legs and arms, but two torsos and heads, and they also appear to lack noses. Their gemstone has a "Y" shape and is located on the navel, where their bodies connect. Their body should not be confused with a forced fusion. According to Rebecca Sugar, their design is based on a "gem deformity", when a gem is split in two making a V shape.
The Rutile Twins wear an open-toed dark red and black bodysuit, which is red with black stripes on their right half, and black with red stripes on their left half.
Personality[edit | edit source]
The Rutile Twins are shown to be helpful, being the ones who tell Lars and Steven to jump into the hole to the Kindergarten before being caught by the Robonoid chasing them.
They often speak either alternating words, fragments, or even sentences. They also often repeat what the other said, but in a different way. They are also shown to be curious about Lars and Steven's foreign lifestyle.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- When fused with Albite and Orthoclase, they form Rubellite.
- When fused with Padparadscha, they form Cuprite.
- When fused with Rhodonite and Padparadscha, they form Eudialyte.
Natural Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Photokinesis: In "Off Colors", the Rutile Twins are shown using their gemstone to project a red light, like a flashlight. They share this ability with Garnet, Pearl, Peridot, "Eyeball", and "Doc".
Relationships[edit | edit source]
The Rutile Twins first found Steven and Lars as they were about to be scanned. The Rutile Twins at first did not know that they were humans, saying "They certainly don't look like Gems we've seen before". Then, they brought them to a Kindergarten, and, when Rhodonite asked if they could trust them, the Rutile Twins said they could.
The Rutile Twins were first introduced to Lars when they saved him and Steven from being scanned. Lars at first thanked them, but when he could see them seemed scared by the Rutile Twins as he jumped back and screamed when he saw them. The Rutile Twins reacted by covering themselves with their hands.
Not much is shown about The Rutile Twins relationship with Fluorite, besides the fact that they have been around each other for a long time.
Rhodonite and Rutile Twins seem to have a close relationship. Rutile stops Rhodonite from going to Earth without Lars and Rhodonite seems to be around her a lot.
Padparadscha and Rutile Twins' relationship is very vague considering neither has had a line of dialogue with each other.
Gemology[edit | edit source]
- Rutile is the zodiacal stone for Leo and Taurus. It is also connected to Gemini, a possible nod to the fact that they're twins. It is affiliated with the elements fire and air and is the planetary stone for the sun.
- Rutile is said to give off an aura of safety and calmness. It promotes forgiveness and helps to fight phobias.
- Rutilated Quartz is a quartz that resembles the clarity of smoky quartz with naturally occurring strands of golden or maroon rutile within.
- Rutile is a gem, commonly red, that is mostly comprised of titanium dioxide.
- 98.2% of most rutile specimens are titanium dioxide, with 1.5% being made of iron oxide, and the remaining .3% being a mix of Mg, Al, Si, Ca, Sc, V, Cr, Cu, Zn, Zr, Nb, Cd, In, Sn, Sb, Hf, Ta, W, Pb, and U.
- Rutile typically has straight and angular growth, often inside of quartzes.
|The Rutile Twins' red gemstone is located on their navel. The two conjoined gemstones form an inverted lowercase "Y". The shorter and longer segments of the gemstone both have their own two facets, parallel to their respective segments.|