Appearance[edit | edit source]
Obsidian has an appearance similar to that of other Obsidians, as they are very large with eight arms, two faces, and a fiery design. They have carbon gray skin with thin bright red-orange markings, four glowing yellow-orange eyes, a pointy nose, and defined lips, having these features on their second mask like face. They also have huge and poofy hair that is black and orange, reaching the ground. Their gemstones are located on their forehead, chest, navel, and in the palms of her upper left and right hands and are black in color.
They do not appear to wear any clothes.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Obsidian does not appear to have a distinct personality, as they are shown to be always silent. The only noise they make is a loud roar after their formation.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Obsidian possesses standard Gem abilities and traits. As the fusion of all 4 core members of the Crystal Gems, Obsidian is the strongest fusion so far in the series.
Skillset[edit | edit source]
- Greatsword Proficiency: Obsidian forms the hilt of their sword by combining Pearl's spear, Steven's shield, Garnet's gauntlet, and Amethyst's whip; then, Obsidian smelts the blade of the sword by opening up a third mouth full of lava and sticking the hilt into their mouth. The red-hot sword that they pull out of their mouth is then capable of slicing through nearly anything, as it destroys Yellow Diamond and Blue Diamond's ships with seeming ease.
Unique Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Pyrokinesis: When Obsidian was eventually formed, their eyes (and in their mask) ignited fire.
- Lava Generation: Obsidian's third mouth is filled with lava, which they use to craft their sword.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The fact that Obsidian has the ability to create/hold lava within their body may be a reference to the fact that, in real life, obsidian is a type of volcanic glass that is formed when felsic lava cools.
- Obsidian bears a resemblance to Te Ka from Moana.
- The name of Obsidian was first seen in the Steven Universe: Art & Origins book.
- Obsidian's sword resembles the Flameblade from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, both in shape and the geometric designs on its surface.
Gemology[edit | edit source]
- Obsidian is a naturally occurring volcanic glass formed as an extrusive igneous rock.
- It is produced when felsic lava extruded from a volcano cools rapidly with minimal crystal growth. Obsidian is commonly found within the margins of rhyolitic lava flows known as obsidian flows, where the chemical composition (high silica content) induces a high viscosity and polymerization degree of the lava.
- The inhibition of atomic diffusion through this highly viscous and polymerized lava explains the lack of crystal growth.
- Obsidian is hard and brittle; it, therefore, fractures with very sharp edges, which were used in the past in cutting and piercing tools, and it has been used experimentally as surgical scalpel blades.
|Pearl's gemstone on Obsidian.
|All other gems on Obsidian.|