What do our guests look like, Pearl?
Carbonado is an unaligned Gem, and an original character created by KJD. Carbonado was formerly a member of the The Great Diamond Authority, but was sentenced to shattering by the Diamonds because of her compassionate demeanor toward her subordinates; although, later surviving the attack, managing to escape.
Carbonado and her Pearl are currently on a wasteland planet that has already been harvested. They figured it would be the best place to make sure no one from Homeworld discovers them since there is no reason for them to return there.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Abilities
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gemology
- 8 Gemstone
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Carbonado has a tall and slim body with long arms and legs. Her skin is cool dark gray and she has an unknown amount of eyes, a sloped nose, and defined lips. Her hair is black and is very short, resembling a buzz cut. Her gemstone is located on her navel and is black.
She wears large black earrings along with a black crop top with angular sleeves, black gloves, a black and dark gray skirt, and black high heels.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Carbonado is beautiful, caring, kind, strong, powerful and somewhat intimidating upon first meeting. "Never judge a book by its cover" — she's a passionate follower of this ideology and continuously rejects Homeworld's tyrannical concept of treating Gems as lower, less valuable beings.
History[edit | edit source]
A long time ago, when the Diamonds were still new and the Gem race had only just begun to flourish - a fourth Diamond emerged.
She was strong, the most powerful yet, but something was wrong with her…
She was compassionate to the Gems she was supposed to dictate. Her kindness made her weak in the eyes of her sisters, so with a heavy heart and much debate, the decision was made to destroy her, salvage her shards and try again.
But, things didn't go as planned. The new Diamond survived the ambush by her sisters and fled. Her gem was cracked, her sight gone.
After managing to stabilize the chip in her gem, she resigned to the fact that this was her new life. Hidden far away, damaged, but not broken. They would not win. Their betrayal would not make her heart cold like theirs. She would not be bitter or seek revenge. She would live her life out here, on this lifeless wasteland of a planet that had already been harvested to its core, and continue to help those Gems in need.
She would be better than those that wronged her. She will stand tall, proud, compassionate and powerful still.
No longer as Black Diamond, but as her other name — Carbonado.
Black Diamond was the second Diamond ever created, predating Yellow Diamond, Blue Diamond, and Pink Diamond. In her original story, all three Diamonds conspired to crack her gem under White's command, but as of her canonical reveal in the Diamond Days arc, this has been retconned.
Upon emerging, Black was greeted by her "sister," as she told her to open her eyes; there was much to be done. She was given a batch of Onyxes to be part of her court — which consisted of many types of black/grey/brown Gems; she was around long enough to have a decent amount in it —, which she grew to become passionate toward. Because of this kindness and White Diamond's inability to control her, Black Diamond was doomed shattering.
The procedure went wrong and Black Diamond managed to escape to a deserted colony alongside her Pearl, where she'd stand "tall and pride" under the name of Carbonado. One thing she carries from that attack is a crack in her gem, which was stabilized, but to this day draws her blind. The Gems beneath her court were delegated to the other Diamonds and forbidden to speak of her under the threat of being shattered.
Nobody quite knows what happened to her as the Diamonds failed to address the situation, enabling her to have been forgotten altogether. Gems still tell stories secretly in speculation of what truly may have happened to Black Diamond, but it's publicly regarded as a taboo subject. Amongst Off-Colors and deserters, there are murmurings of a Wasteland Queen that offers sanctuary.
A few Gems have managed to find her from her old court, she regrettably had to leave them all behind when she escaped. Anyone that finds her she's happy to accept into their "home," a "hidden dwarven city" with a lot of technology.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Carbonado possesses standard Gem abilities, bubbling, shapeshifting, fusion, regeneration, agelessness, and superhuman strength/durability.
Carbonado is strong, which likely played a significant role in how she survived the shattering attempt, and also why the crack in her gem gained the ability to stabilize rather than becoming worse.
She cannot shapeshift.
- When fused with Black Pearl, they form Black Aura Quartz.
- When fused with Red Diamond, they form Cherry Diamond.
- When fused with Black Star Sapphire, they form Black Star Diopside.
- When fused with Albite and Orthoclase, they form Merlinite.
Unique Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Nega-Ergokinesis: Carbonado possesses the ability to manipulate and solidify dark energy. This is how her crack remains stabilized.
- Hallucikinesis: Carbonado can manipulate illusions, an ability that aided her in her escape from Homeworld.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Followers[edit | edit source]
Black Pearl is Carbonado's Pearl, which she took with her and treats as an equal and a trusted friend.
While they have never fused, neither of them would be opposed to it, it just never came up.
Shungite is one of the Gems from Carbonado's original Black Diamond court, and was among the first group to escape Homeworld after she was rumored to have been shattered. She sensed their presence and drew them to her so she would be able to protect them.
Shungite is a skilled technician similar to Peridot and is one of a handful of Carbonado's most trusted friends that assists in keeping the off-colors, fusions, and defective Gems seeking a form of safe refuge. She also attends scouting missions in order to search and retrieve Gems in need of help.
Past Subordinates[edit | edit source]
Onyxes[edit | edit source]
They're beautiful. I can't believe they're all mine.
After Carbonado was driven away, they were transferred to White Diamond's court. Some of them defected with other members of the Black Diamond court amidst rumors she was still out there somewhere.
If Carbonado ever met Moonstone, she'd probably be happy for her much like all the other Gems that come to her, that she's free to exist and be herself away from Homeworld.
I want to make a Steven too.
It would be such a shame to waste a resource as valuable as you... Don't worry dear, I'll fix you so you come out right next time...
|—White Diamond to Carbonado|
In her early years, Carbonado was misguided and influenced by White Diamond, who attempted to mold her into a more ruthless leader. Unfortunately for White, Carbonado only grew to love and care for the Gems that relied on her more.
However, she was defiant towards White, refusing to act accordingly. Gems didn't fear her, which, in White's eyes, was a danger to the hierarchy. As Carbonado was the only one that couldn't be controlled by her, White Diamond cracked her. In her mind at the time, harvesting her gem was the only option; she'd recreate her from the shards to be more in sync with her way of thinking.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Carbonado has two eyes with black sclera that can appear relatively jarring to others due to the crack in her gemstone, rendering her mostly blind, so she covers them. Despite this, she can still see things as shadowy figures.
- Carbonado's attempted murder was near the beginning of Gem society, far before Pink Diamond's demise. Because of this, most modern Era 3 Gems are unaware of Black Diamond's existence.
- The crack on her gem is stabilized, so it's not causing her any further harm. She's someone that would think of it as a more of a scar to bear that made her who she is.
- If Pink Diamond and Carbonado switched places, Rose Quartz would be an Onyx. This is assuming her gemstone never cracked.
Gemology[edit | edit source]
- Carbonado, commonly known as "black diamond", is the toughest form of natural diamond.
- It is an impure form of polycrystalline diamond consisting of diamond, graphite, and amorphous carbon.
- It is found primarily in alluvial deposits in the Central African Republic and in Brazil.
- Its natural color is black or dark grey, and it is more porous than other diamonds.
- Carbonado diamonds are typically pea-sized or larger porous aggregates of many tiny black crystals.
- The most characteristic carbonados have been found only in the Central African Republic and in Brazil, in neither place associated with kimberlite, the source of typical gem diamonds.
- Lead isotope analyses have been interpreted as documenting crystallization of carbonados about 3 billion years ago.
|Black Diamond's gemstone is located on her midriff, featuring an octagonal facet, and a diamond shape overall. It is slightly cracked.|
Gallery[edit | edit source]