You say they want me to be 'made' of honor? Well, I am. I'm made of the most solid, flexible, diamagnetic stuff there is and I'm not as dense as you might think.
|—Bismuth, "Made of Honor"|
Bismuth has a large, bulky body with broad shoulders similar to that of Jasper. Her head outlines the shape of the rest of her body, with undefined lips, a large jaw, and noticeable cheeks similar to Steven. Her hair is styled in several dreadlocks and colored a mixture of several bright tones, being held back by a lilac headband. She has a periwinkle complexion with a dark red tattoo-like marking of a star pattern on her left shoulder. Her gemstone is located on her chest and is noticeably concave.
Pre-regeneration (debut) Edit
She wore a black apron-like outfit, resembling a blacksmith, with a star-shaped reddish-pink belt with a brown attachment, burgundy leggings, and dark brown boots.
Post-regeneration (previous) Edit
After being unbubbled by Steven in "Made of Honor", Bismuth wore a backless and strapless black top that has a square cutout in the middle to reveal her gem. Beneath that is a long light red attachment with a light and dark red apron-like attachment under it, and both of these have a light red belt around them with a light-pink star that is tilted and cut off by the belt and blacktop. However, her pants and boots are unchanged.
Sometime in between the events of "Change Your Mind" and the movie, Bismuth now wears light plum overalls with gold clippings at the base of the straps and a red star on the back, her boots remaining unchanged.
Bismuth is boisterous, fierce, determined, empathetic, and emotive. She is not afraid to speak and act her mind. While Bismuth cares deeply for her friends, she also harbors an immense hatred for Homeworld elites, specifically the Diamond Authority.
Bismuth has an aggressive personality, even when being affectionate. When she sees her friends Pearl and Garnet, she immediately pulls them in for bone-crushing hugs. Her manner-of-speaking is blunt and to-the-point, and she acts without gaining consensus from the group surrounding her. She enjoys fighting: she reminisces fondly on the battles she and Garnet fought together against Homeworld's army, for example, and she loves to spar. When confronted, she attacks first and asks questions later. She has a playful side: she regularly creates puns out of the word "Bismuth" and habitually ribs the other Crystal Gems.
Bismuth is deeply devoted to her friends. She makes them weapons to complement their existing skill-sets; she playfully teases them while they are alive; and she grieves for them when she learns they are dead. The fact that the remaining Crystal Gems did not know of her imprisonment within Lion's Dimension troubles and wounds her.
Bismuth also relishes the freedom and possibility that results from being a Crystal Gem. She speaks with passion and wonder about Steven's ability to be himself (rather than a copy of Rose Quartz) and her own ability to differentiate herself from other Bismuths by doing what she wants rather than conforming to a prescribed role. Bismuth's passion for maintaining her own freedom and the freedom of others is what drives her to fight against Homeworld. She deeply resents the "Homeworld elites" for forcing her to do their bidding, and this resentment manifests itself in the form of unmitigated hatred.
Bismuth is vindictive and determined to win the fight against Homeworld at any cost. She has no faith in the leadership of Homeworld, whom she believes to be fundamentally evil, and sees it as her duty to free the gems living under its rule. Because of this conviction, she is willing to go to any length to obtain what she sees as justice. This mentality leads her to build the Breaking Point, which she sees as the only way to defeat Homeworld despite the ethical complications of using it. It also ultimately leads her to attack Steven with intent to shatter him, whom she believes to be Rose Quartz attempting to stop her again. When it comes to defeating Homeworld, Bismuth becomes ruthless and a danger to anyone standing in her way.
Bismuth possesses standard Gem abilities, such as bubbling, shapeshifting, fusion, regeneration, agelessness, and superhuman strength/durability.
- When fused with Rose Quartz, they form Titanium Quartz.
- When fused with Garnet, they form Chambersite.
- When fused with Steven Universe, they form Titanium Quartz.
- When fused with Pearl, they form Ammolite.
- When fused with Peridot, they form Pallasite.
- When fused with Lapis Lazuli, they form Covellite.
- When fused with Amethyst, they form Bornite.
- When fused with Ruby, they form Vanadinite.
- When fused with Sapphire, they form Silica.
- When fused with Jasper, they form Tiger Iron.
- When fused with Biggs Jasper, they form Pyrite.
- When fused with Albite and Orthoclase, they form Spectrolite.
- Shapeshifting Weapons: Bismuth is able to shapeshift both of her hands into several types of weapons or tools, such as hammers, screwdrivers, and even a Roman scissor. They are used as both an offensive attack or to pound materials when creating and improving weapons.
- Skilled Craftsmanship: Bismuth is shown to build and forge powerful weaponry and structures such as arenas and spires. To add to this, she was a craftsman for Homeworld as well as the blacksmith for Rose's army.
- Weapon Alteration: Bismuth is capable of creating attachments and upgrades for current weapons such as giving Garnet's gauntlets spiked edges, turning Pearl's spear into a trident, and Amethyst's whip into a spiked flail.
- Superhuman Strength: Bismuth is incredibly strong, capable of rivaling Garnet in terms of power and shattering solid stone to bits with her blows. Even without using her weapon hands, she is capable of lifting a statue made of solid rock over her head and throwing it with enough force to leave a crater in a stone wall. According to Bismuth, she and Garnet could take on a battalion of Quartz soldiers with relative ease.
Unique Abilities Edit
- Shapeshifting Weapons: Bismuth is able to easily shapeshift both of her hands into several types of weapons or tools, such as hammers, screwdrivers, and even a Roman scissor. They are used as both an offensive attack or to pound materials when creating and improving weapons. These weapons also appear to be a lot harder and stronger than if the other Gems did the same thing. This is most likely due to her original purpose on Homeworld as a craftsman.
- Thermal Resistance: Bismuth is very resistant to high temperatures, being able to shower in lava as if it were water and collect samples of lava with her bare hands, showing no visible injuries. She shares this power with Ruby and by extension Garnet.
- Bismuth is formed in hydrothermal vents and pegmatite dikes most often.
- Bismuth is not, in fact, a gem. Instead, it is a post-transition metal, a type of metal which is soft and brittle and has a lower melting point than other metals.
- And like many other metals, has a crystal structure.
- Crystals, which are uncommon, are usually flat hexagons occurring in parallel groupings. Bismuth also occurs as massive and as waterworn nuggets in stream beds.
- Pseudo-cubic, hopper-like crystal groupings are almost never found in nature but are mostly laboratory-produced.
- The bismuth crystal owes its array of colors from iridescent oxides that tarnish the crystal as it grows. Otherwise, bismuth will only appear as gray and metallic.
- It is an element with the symbol as Bi and an atomic number of 83.
|Bismuth's gemstone is located on her chest. It is hollow and rectangular in shape, and each "layer" of the gem is a different color of the rainbow, starting pinkish-purple on the outside and then forming a gradient to yellow in the center. There is a small swirling notch in the lower left-hand side of the gem that prevents its interior from forming a perfect rectangle.|